As with all cocktails, there are many versions out there. Basically, this is a vodka based drink, that done right gives a wonderful balance of sweet and tart. It is undeniably American in origin and was birthed somewhere in 70’s. I confess that I am never too bothered by the ml quantities, I try my best, but pay more attention to the ratios. Here is the most official recipe, it is light, delicate, tart but with a sweet base that comes through.
- 25ml vodka
- 25ml triple sec
- 20ml fresh lime juice
- a splash of cranberry juice just to give the drink a pink bloom
- a twist of lemon – use a vegetable peeler to make lemon skin shavings
Fill your cocktail shaker with ice. Add everything except the lemon and shake until the outside of the shaker is frosty and cold. Pour into a chilled martini glass and garnish with the lemon twist.
Do not be afraid to use a large amount of lime it does not make the drink sour, trust the recipe.
- 45ml vodka – when I have it, I use lemon flavoured vodka
- 30ml Cointreau
- 30ml cranberry juice
- 15ml freshly squeezed lime juice. Unless you have a tree, the squeezy bags you find in the veggie shops are just fine
- Orange twist – use your vegetable peeler to create orange slivers.
Fill your cocktail shaker with ice. Add everything except the orange and shake until the outside of the shaker is frosty and cold. Pour into any glass and garnish with the orange shavings. The aromatic oils released by the peel truly does add something for me, but honestly, it is not necessary. I also add a little more cranberry juice if it is a week night!